Sunday, October 6, 2013

Kindness

I wanted to share a wonderful gift that was given to me by a complete stranger. After Josh passed away I had decided I wanted to get a memory quilt made from some of his things. One of my friends told me about her friend's mother who likes to quilt. My friend had broached the subject with her and then put me in touch with her. Shortly afterwards we set up a time to meet to go over my "vision" of the quilt. I was also told immediately that she wanted to make this for me for free. What an amazing thing to do for someone she had never met before!

Initially we had planned for her to show me examples of designs using the material I gave her and she would send these electronically so I could then give her feedback before she actually started sewing. However, a few days later she emails me saying that her software wasn't working and would I trust her to come up with the design? My initial thought, being the Type A person that I am, is that I really wanted to have input on what the final product would look like. However after thinking about it, I decided that it would be just one more thing to stress over and worry about and perhaps I should have faith that she would do a great job. What's that saying? "Leave it up to the professionals"?  I'm SO glad that her software broke because if it hadn't I don't think the quilt would have turned out so amazing!

What a gift we were given! This quilt is something we will treasure for the rest of our lives. It includes material from his sheets, clothing, burp cloths, moby wrap, nursing cover, car seat cover, crib dust ruffle, blankets, bath towel, and activity mat. We now have this beautiful, tangible piece of our baby that is able to tell the story of his happy life. I cannot thank this woman enough for all of the time and effort she put into making this perfect tribute to Josh. I also can't thank my good friend (whom I had borrowed a lot of baby stuff from) enough for letting me have some of the items Josh used so they could be incorporated into the blanket. People are so generous and thoughtful!
I am forever grateful for this perfect, perfect gift. Mommy loves you Josh!

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Since I just learned to quilt this summer I have a great appreciation for what this quilter designed for you.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize the green was the Moby wrap until now. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete