Friday, July 19, 2013

If you build it, they will come

Prior to Josh's death I had talked with a few girlfriends about doing a race this fall. We decided to do the Bull City Race Fest which offers both a 5 mile run and a half marathon through Downtown Durham neighborhoods. I was sitting on my couch with my lap top last week after putting the kids to bed and went to register. I then saw that you could register as part of a team - people were registering with coworkers, running clubs, and other organizations. The light bulb went off. I could register and start Team Josh to raise money for SIDS research and awareness. I had learned of the CJ SIDS Foundation through my sister who is participating in an event for them. Although we don't know yet if Josh's death will be ruled as SIDS (and won't know for up to six months), I figured it's a great cause regardless so why not? So, Team Josh was created. I then created a donor page for him through the CJ SIDS Foundation website.

Then comes the inspiring part. I created an event on Facebook called "Team Josh at Bull City Race Fest" detailing the goal of Team Josh and within mere minutes I had people signing up. Within 2 days I had over 30 people signed up, some I had never even met! Some who are not runners but have decided to start running to train for this race. It is incredibly uplifting and heartwarming to see not only friends but friends of friends come together to support not only my family but a wonderful cause. 
 
Here are the details of the event: 

What: Team Josh at Bull City Race Fest
Where: American Tobacco Campus 
When: Sunday, October 20th at 7:30a.m.
Why: To raise money for the CJ SIDS Foundation
How: Join Team Josh then tell friends and family about Josh’s donor page to help raise money.
Who: YOU!!

As a way to honor Josh as well as raise money for SIDS research, I have created "Team Josh" for the Bull City Race Fest. This is a race on October 20th in Downtown Durham. You can choose to do the half marathon or the 5 mile run. Although we don't know for sure if Josh died from SIDS (and probably won't know for several months), I would love to raise money for SIDS research. My plan is to reach out to friends who would like to run (or walk fast!) and be part of "Team Josh". I have created a donor page for the CJ SIDS Foundation which does a lot to raise money and awareness for SIDS research and prevention. Here is what you can do:

1. Register for either the 5 mile or the half marathon at www.bullcityracefest.com. Make sure you select "Team Josh" during registration.

2. Spread the word to your friends and family that you are raising money for SIDS research. Invite others to join Team Josh and run. This is the website for Josh's donor page: http://cjsids.donorpages.com/Memorial/JoshuaSmedley/

3. Email me at kellysmedley@gmail.com that you have registered for Team Josh and send me your t-shirt size. I plan to get "Team Josh" t-shirts made and will give yours to you prior to race day. If you have friends who want to be part of Team Josh have them do the same. The more, the merrier!

4. Have fun running for a great cause!

You don't have to run in order to donate - you can direct people to his donor page even if you can't run. Thank you so much for your consideration. And please, no pressure - if you can't or don't want to run your prayers are still appreciated, not only for us but for others who have lost children.

So, that's the deal. As of this writing there are 38 people signed up for the race and over $1400 already raised from Josh's donor page. Amazing! I wonder what the numbers will be by the time of my next blog post. 

If you build it, they will come! Mommy loves you Josh! 






5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I'm up to dong a 5k, but I'm willing to baby-sit for your kids and some of the other participants' kids (I will look for other sitters if needed) and donate a portion (not sure what portion - maybe 20-30% - I can't afford to donate all) of what you guys pay to the cause. Let me know if that would help.

    Also, why will it take so long to know if it's SIDS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denny - thanks for the offer to babysit. I will definitely point parents in your direction if I hear people need someone. I appreciate it! To answer your question, it will take awhile to get the full autopsy results. The initial results couldn't find any medical cause but they are still waiting for toxicology and tissue sample results for the final report. And apparently the medical examiner's office is backlogged so it takes 3-6 months.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm excited for this event and to honor Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just registered. Glad to be a part of honoring your son's memory and raising money for a wonderful cause. - Jill D.

    ReplyDelete